Wednesday, January 1, 2014

why teach?


"Why do you want to be a teacher?"

This has been a popular question after telling people I was majoring in Elementary Education. 
This has also been a reoccurring question in my mind after deciding I wanted to teach.

My first semester in college, I was going to school to be an Ultrasound Technician. I loved science and the idea of working with parents and being there when they find out the gender of their baby. It seemed so exciting. After that first semester, I don't know why, but I wasn't really clicking with the idea of continuing to be an Ultrasound Technician. Teaching was always in the back of my head, so I decided to follow my gut and say that I wanted to be a teacher. 
After taking a few elementary courses, I knew that being a teacher was my calling. 
After countless lesson plans and endless projects, I've decided that I wouldn't want to do anything other than teaching. 
Teaching is my passion.

"It's a beautiful thing when a career and a passion come together."

I'd like to say I'm lucky that the career I want to pursue is also my passion, but that is not the case.
I'm blessed. 
I'm blessed to have the burning passion in my heart for a sweet child to learn and grow, while helping them feel love and support every day.
I'm blessed to have had past teachers show me what an impact a teacher can really make in a student's life. 
I'm blessed to know that education is not the preparation for life, but that education is life itself.
I'm blessed for the privilege to further my own education so that I can hopefully make an impact on someone's life.

One of my biggest senses of accomplishments is seeing a child progress and have them be proud of their self and knowing that I helped. 
The Lord reminds us various times in the scriptures to become like little children. In Matthew 18: 3-4 it says, "Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven". If we have a heart to learn and a willingness to follow the example of children, then their divine attributes can hold a key to unlocking our own spiritual growth.

"In teaching others, we teach ourselves."

I am so excited to become a teacher and have the opportunity to not only impact my students' lives, but also have them impact mine. I know that I am going to learn so much from my future students.
Teaching is not just about teaching the standards, but creating a bond between you and your students and helping each other progress in a positive, loving atmosphere.

xoxo
-E

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! You are going to be a fantastic teacher! I wish you could come teach my boys :)

    ReplyDelete